Push the up and down arrow keys if you need to zoom in!
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Sunday, January 23, 2011
I was going through my design portfolio and I miss being a designer. I need to get back into drafting and design. Some of my favorite projects.
new york loft
Cape Cod Home
Home electrical/lighting/furniture plan
Office quick sketch
Love this stuff!
My dream is to have a house similar to these two. I found these homes in Midway and Heber Utah. After I saw these houses it got me thinking about restoring a house someday. So I did a little research and there are grants and loans available to people who want to restore their homes to their proper historical period. If you are interested go to http://www.utahheritagefoundation.org/preservation-resources/financial-resources
I think within 10 years I would like to acquire a home similar to one of these!!
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Get new jeans for about $3.00. For Real!
You Will Need:
A pair of your old jeans that are faded or ones you don't wear because you don't like the wash.
1 package of Rit Dye
I like to use black dye because it makes my jeans dark; however you can use navy blue dye as well.
(You can get this at Walmart or Craft stores)
Follow exact directions on packaging
About an 2 hours later you will have new jeans!
Monday, January 17, 2011
Artifacts that represent me culturally.
Artifact 1: Make-up
I rarely leave the house without having makeup on my face, not that I consider my self high- maintenance; rather I like to look my best when I leave my house. On a daily basis I wear makeup that is conservative and when I get ready for special events I tend to wear more makeup. I think this is a cultural thing to do in America because we think that more makeup highlights our facial features.
Artifact 2: Jewelry
I hold dear to several pieces of jewelry because they connect me to my family. My turquoise ring is a family heirloom that my grandmother passed on to me and I will eventually give to one of my daughters. The neat thing about this ring is that my great uncle made it for my grandmother and I always loved hearing the story of how the ring was made. I also have a wedding ring that shows my commitment and love to my husband.
Artifact 3: Keys
My keys have a significant purpose in my life each day. Everyday I use them for different purposes. For example I use keys for the mailbox, doors to my house and my car. My keys give me the access to a home. Here I feel safe knowing that my husband and I are the only ones who can enter our house and gives me a sense of security. My car keys allow me to use my car to travel to my various obligations and leisure activities. As an American it is a part of our culture to own a home, drive a car and receive mail on a daily basis.
What are your artifacts?
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Precious Pumps Placed in Perfect Pairs!
Last week I had to create an Altered Alliteration for one of my classes. I altered the photograph Delman Shoes by Margaret Bourke-White. Her photos documented America in the 1930's.
Precious Pumps Placed in Perfect Pairs!
If you are feeling crafty then heres a project for you!
Items you will need:
1. A stack of any newspaper will do.
2. A lamp base (you can find one at Ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=lamp+bases) Prices start at $4.99 and up!
3. A lamp shade (also sold at Ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=lamp%20shades or most craft stores)
4. 1 light bulb
5. A hot glue gun and glue sticks and your set!
Follow these steps and you will have yourself a new funky lamp:
1. Follow manufactures directions and assemble lamp base
2. Cut strips of newspaper lengthwise that are 1"-2" wide
3. Take 1 strip of your cut newspaper and coil it (newspaper will want to uncoil itself and you will just need to keep the coil tight as you glue it down)
4. Start gluing! Take the end of the coil and glue it to the edge of the base. Continue to glue coil around the edges of base and start to glue coils on top of each other (see picture)
5. You can build the coils as high as you would like, however they can get flimsier the higher you go. (My lamp base is about 12" high)
Post your questions if you have any!